Old October 8th 03, 06:42 PM
Big John

Gig

POB (Persons on board) is sometimes used instead of SOB.

SOB has been used for as long as I can remember (at least in the
Military).

The abbreviation was used to expedite the passing of info for crash
crew purposes.

Without the acronym you would have to say "Two pilots, 3 stews, 25
men, 20 women and 4 children" all with hands full while working the
emergency.

The total "SOB" lets the crash crew know when they have recovered all
the people/bodies from a crash and not continue to put crash crew at
risk if all are recovered.

The 'souls on board' does not bother me as I go to Church with the
wife and am comfortable with the use of the word "souls".

Big John

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:31:10 -0500, "Gig Giacona"
wrote:

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
Rad wrote:

8 or 4? There's a -4 registered to that gent (N99VH)

-8 (N27JW) according to the FAA.

http://www2.faa.gov/avr/aai/M_1007_N.txt

[From above listed report]
THE ACFT WAS DESTROYED AND
THE TWO SOB'S SUFFERED FATAL INJURIES. TYLER, TX
[End Quote]

They really ought to reconsider use of that particular acronym.