Old September 14th 04, 01:15 AM
G. Burkhart

"zatatime" wrote in message
news
On 13 Sep 2004 09:24:55 -0700, (flyer) wrote:

I need to get a biannual transponder check. I would like to do it
October 1st instead of sometime near the end of September to get an
"extra" month the next time around. The FARs say that I can operate
without a transponder in the airspace where a Mode C transponder is
normally required by requesting an ATC deviation. I would fly the
aircraft with the transponder off, VFR, from Torrance, CA airport to
Hawthorne, CA airport, about 4 miles away where the pitot static and
transponder check is to be made. The pitot static test is not a
problem as it is only required to be current if the aircraft is to be
flown under IFR.

If you're really concerned with adhering to the letter of the law when
out of inspection for just one day, I'd call my local FSDO and get a
ferry permit. Then you can use the transponder during the flight, not
need a waiver, and be ok.

Come on... Just use the transponder for the short trip. The transponder (and
ATC) doesn't know it has been two years since it has been checked and will
still work on October 1st just like it did/does on September 30th.

Either that, or just take the plane over on the 30th and have the work done
and signed off on the 1st.