Old November 25th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Non-published hold with Garmin 430W

On Nov 25, 8:24*am, Evan Salant wrote:
There's not a lot in the user's manual about how to set up a non-
published hold using the Garmin 430W. *Lets say you are on a
flightplan with SBJ VOR as one of your waypoints and ATC needs you to
hold on the SBJ *160 radial right hand turns one minute legs. *Is
there anything to simplify this other than setting up direct to the
VOR and using the OBS button and setting the OBS indicator on 340
degrees (inbound heading) ? *Any other tricks ?

Thanks,

Evan

Never done this myself Evan, but if I had to think on the "fly"
literally and figuratively, can you set up a "flight plan" of SBJ to
SBJ160002 in the flight plan option of the 430 (I don't have the W
flavor but this shouldn't be a factor)

Going on memory, SBJ is the VOR, 160 is the radial and 002 is the
miles out on the 160 radial (2 miles a minute) I believe you can set
up the 430 with radials and DME but I haven't done this in the
practical world. If my concept is right at least the length of the
outbound track will be displayed on the map display.