Old August 10th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Region 12 S. Warner Springs # 711 reporting

Well folks, I am out here in Warner Springs, enjoying
Region 12 South. Today, as you can see on the SSA website, some folks
put down some speeds. We even had the towpilots go up in a Grob twin,
and end up with 1143 guest points. Ya, they had the best times of their
life.
When I came here, with water to the west of me, LA Basin,
smog, and water to the east, I was wondering just what would come true.
Well, today came true, with really good shear line flights, and if you
are like me, well, I just had to stop every so often to climb in 8 to
12 kt. lift. Off of tow, I had 10.5 kts. on the averager to 11
thousand....at 11:45 a.m.
Garret Willat, and his lovely wife Renna, and his family
are putting on a show of shows for us. We have our daily pilots
meetings under shade trees, on a grass lawn, with daily gifts to the
winners. What about the soaring? Well, its good, really good, and a
little like Montaque, being somewhat of local knowledge. But the
soaring pilots here will share with you what you should do, and they do
know the area extremely well.
Every night we have dinners, either at the airport or go out
to the local resturants. Friends, food and laughs all are being shared.
The 2 towpilots shared at dinner their racing tactics. Thermal only
going downwind, stay below start altitude for a while, and don't land
out. Of course, the shear line was working big time, and not only can
you see it, but a can of free breeze could be used to help get the
smell out. .
Your going to have to put Warner Springs on you contest plan,
as they want to keep putting on a show. We have several folks from ASA
here. Today TS1 had a great flight and after he landed was smiles
from ear to ear. GW came to life and had a smokin flight in 15 Meter.
So, for next year, or next time, keep Warner Springs in
mind, its a new racing site, but Garret has put in some time here, and
as CD, is doing a great job. Every morning at the pilots meetings he is
going over the days tasks, making sure even the new guys are getting
filled in, with the rules, etc. After you learn the area, it will
reward you better than you could of ever hoped for.
I'll post more notes later on, but for now
Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly Safe, # 711 reporting.