Old October 9th 05, 02:36 PM
Mark Manes

I fly regularly into/out of Denton (DTO). I don't have to worry about the
STAR's & DP's because they will assign you one anyway. I file direct from
FSM to DTO and my clearance from Razorback departure says as filed. Then
while enroute Ft Worth Center will give me a new clearance "Cleared to
Denton via direct SASIE, SASIE2 arrival". Leaving Denton I file Direct to
FSM and get my clearance from regional departure as "cleared to FSM via
enter controlled airspace heading XXX maintain 2000. Expect radar vectors
Texoma8 departure McAllister transition direct then as filed". Denton is a
little deeper under the Class B but I bet if you just file direct you will
get what they want you to have for departures and arrivals. After you get
their preference the first time then file those procedures from then on if
you want, or do as I do and just let them give you clearance. Once you know
file a couple of times you'll know what to expect and it wont be a surprise.
Going into Addison I have even had center ask me which arrival I want ,
JONEZ4 or SASIE2. The first few times you fly a dp/arrival it seems a
little hard but you'll get used to it and it won't be a big deal.

Mark
N28409

"Bill" wrote in message
I got my instrument rating at an accelerated school in California.
Overall, I think my instruction went well, and I was very happy with
the results. I passed my checkride in a Piper Lance, and had no
troubles.

There was one part though that never quite made sense to me. My
instructor told me to use a Star or DP for an airport that wasn't the
airport I was flying to, and I genuinely had no idea how she was
selecting which one to use. At the time, I just fudged my way through
that, since my brain was approaching maximum capacity anyway.

Now I'm wanting to start filing and flying out of TKI in the DFW area,
and I have no idea how to determine which procedure I should file, nor
do I even see how the transition will occur from the procedure that is
routing to or from DFW over to a landing at TKI or takeoff from TKI.

Strange that I have this one gap in my training, but it's getting in
my way now. Can any of you clear this up or recommend a good book or
video that makes this process clear? And I don't just want to
understand the process here at TKI I need to know how to apply this
anywhere.

Thanks!
Bill
www.adventurepilot.com