Old February 9th 04, 11:39 PM
pacplyer

Yelp! Sounds good Jim, but doesn't a chat (typing) require everybody
to sit down at the same time? I'm not sure I'm organized enough to do
that. Hope you also copy the transcripts to RAH for us slackers. :-)
MOO! (my opinion only.) Your idea of live voice sounds interesting.
I might be able to get to the screen on time for an avionics version
of "this old stack." Great name, huh?

How would you regulate it to keep out the trolls? Like a radio
talk-show hoast, just drop-off the lines from the nut-house?

BTW, the subtle advertizing from someone we know who constantly
contributes great advice to the group is not objectionable to me at
least. I maintain that usenet is still evolving and will change to
fit our needs/desires (but I may be in the minority here.)

Good Luck,

pac

Jim Weir wrote in message . ..
Hey, gang...

Well, the Avionics BBS over on Yahoo was a spectacular failure. We had five
posts in six months and we just let the board go away. There was a problem,
though, that even as the administrator I found getting TO the board to be a
royal pain in the tush.

However, I get 8-10 posts a week asking me to log onto one or another "type
club" BBS and answer an antenna question, an installation question, etc.. I
also notice about the same number of questions on this ng on these subjects.
The problem is that the same questions keep popping up on these type club boards
that could be answered ONCE if there were a central "avionics" board divvied up
into major and minor compartments. An antenna on an EZ works exactly the same
way that an antenna on a Velocity works, so why answer the same question ten
times when one would do?

How about it? Any interest in an avionics bbs sponsored by and on
www.rstengineering.com ? If I get ten "yep"s I'll go to the work of setting it
up and uploading the software.

BLATANT COMMERCIAL HUCKSTERISM FOLLOWS: (Donning my Jay Honeck suit of
asbestos) you understand that you will access the board through a click on a
commercial website that sells avionics if you do not bookmark a direct link to
the web board. You will not flame me for a regular suggestion that a question
in here might bear repeating on this web board, although I will post the direct
link to the board so you don't have to click through the RST home page. Them's
the rules, and if that isn't acceptable, then a "nope" is the correct answer to
the question. [undon]

And, we had a really neat Sunday morning kaffeklatch (sp?) chat when the
Cyberhangar was viable. An hour or so just spent chewing the fat. I'll be glad
to set up a regular weekly time/day chat room (open 24/7 for anybody) if you all
want it. If "yep" then indicate preferred time/day and prohibited time/day of
the week. I use the Starchat set of servers, and you can access them through a
straight java click, a java click from the Starchat.net website, or through any
normal IRC client (mIRC, pIRCh, etc.).

And, we are about to go DSL/broadband here, so the "chat room" may manifest
itself into a voice chat in a few months, if the typechat works out OK.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com