Old December 16th 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Actual Time in Sacramento

three-eight-hotel wrote On 12/16/05 06:51,:
So... having no actual time, under my belt, how would you typically go
out and practice your approaches? Would you file an IFR flight plan to
SAC or MHR and request multiple approaches in the air, or would you
popup out of O61 and contact NORCAL requesting "practice?" approaches
into MHR/SAC?

My 2 cents.

Although I flew actual with the instructor, I was wary of flying actual
on my own. So pretty much by default, I waited until I needed to do a
departure with a now closed in airport. It was fine, but I think now
unecessary. The valley is ideal for actual training. File from the bay area
in the clear, IFR all the way. Then, you will be on system, get a nice
letdown into the clouds over the valley, and some nice approaches, then
back into the clear and home. Hell, if you get nervous or tired,
you could even just ask to up and out of it for a while.

I've done most of my actual in the valley, usually into Stockton south
of there. I also discovered a nice trick from my instructor, to request
"delaying vector". If you find you are tired, falling behind or need
to get reorganized, you ask for that, and relax and get prepared again.
After an hour of actual approaches, you can get pretty tired.