Old July 1st 09, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default Torque Wrench Calibration

Tim wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
bildan wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:53 pm, "coffelt2" wrote:
snip

In the Air Farce we were supposed to click the break type torque
wrench
three times at the lowest setting before using it. This was supposed to
spread the lubrication inside.
I like the idea of taking the wrench to a shop to check calibration.
Having said that, in my first shop in the USAF we calibrated torque
wrenches so I may be a tad biased. The machine we used was huge and
probably weighed close to a ton. Torque wrenches in the USAF are
periodically calibrated, I forget the cycle, and taken in for
calibration
if dropped or abused.
snip
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Heck, Dan, in the Air Force there was an alternate torque measuring
system that didn't even require a torque wrench. (PMEL calibrated, of
course)
Simply "strip" it and back off one half turn. Farm boys from Georgia
taught
me that.

Old Chief Lynn
Yeah, but ya gotta know the difference between metric and SAE torque.

SAE = 1 3/4 grunts
Metric = Gutentieght

Good'n'tight is GI German for good day. Peter strain or I'll be the same
are GI German for goodbye.

Not that I would know anything about that stuff there.

I beg to differ. Good'n'tight is German for virgin.

Was Gesundheit if you jerked the wrench if you sneezed suddenly??