Old April 28th 04, 06:17 PM
Roger Kelly

Martin Gregorie wrote in
:

....snip

I think Roger was thinking of something like an automotive crash bag.
Unlike the DG Noah-e it would need to inflate just before impact so it
would lift the pilot off the seat and then absorb the impact forces as
it deflates.

There are problems:

- it must inflate just before the glider hits the ground, not when the
BRS deploys, but how would its inflation be triggered?

- would there be space in a closed cockpit for it to deploy?

- a cockpit is MUCH smaller than even the smallest car interior so
might it injure the pilot anyway, e.g. by breaking his eardrums as a
result of its explosive deployment in a confined space?

Its a nice idea, but I think its a non-starter inside the cockpit.

I was thinking that it would be recessed in the underside of the glider,
and covered with thin material that would match the outside contour. When
it deploys it would puncture the bottom and be a big bubble on the OUTSIDE.
I don't see why it couldn't inflate at the same time as the BRS.

--
Roger Kelly
to reply replace the IP address above with cgisenior.com