Old June 22nd 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom Wait

Default The EAA should allow us to use our folding bikes at Airventure

"Sliker" wrote

volunteers, who ride motorcycles all over
the grounds? I've not heard one instance of them running into an
airplane.

Volunteers do not ride motorcycles all over the grounds.
Some of the flightline and aircraft movement volunteers, POP volunteers and
maybe others who need to cover a lot of ground, coordinating parking,
greeting, taxiing etc., ride motor scooters. These volunteers are absolutly
nesessary to the safe and efficient operation of Airventure. If you want to
ride a scooter, volunteer for this duty. Be warned, they work long hours in
the sun and carry a lot of responsibility.

Why would a pilot that brings his folding bike with him be
any less able to avoid hitting a plane? There's more than enough room
to maneuver a bike at that event

The volunteers are covered by insurance if they happen to hit a plane. Would
you be?
There may be room in some areas at some times, but the addition of ten
thousand bikes zooming around at peak times is scary.

And I'm not talking about
letting the entire general populace ride bikes, just giving the ones
who fly in a show plane.

If you fly in in a show plane or other homebuilt, ask the greeter who shows
up when you tie down, to call the Welcome Wagon to your parking place.
They'll give you a ride to any place on the airport or the campgrounds. Just
leave a fat tip and you'll be remembered by the drivers. They give rides to
homebuilders and other friendly folks all through the event, even those that
don't tip.

I noticed the Taylor flying car, sans wings, driving all over the
grounds anywhere he wanted to go with it. It was really neat to see,
and I admired it everytime it drove by. Not once did I worry about
what he might hit with it. I was glad to see it there, and able to
roam the grounds at will. If you don't want a bike, or motorized one
around your plane, then write the EAA and tell them no more volunteers
on motorcycles on the flight line, or you aren't coming. See what they
in return.

My guess, they'll say "sorry you're not going to make it to Airventure. Have
a nice day."

Tom