Old February 5th 18, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RW[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 2:05:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 11:35:33 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 7:58:41 PM UTC-5, RW wrote:
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 11:31:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Gary is absolutely correct. The proof is in seeing progress and there has not been much for people outside of our team working at ClearNav to see, but we have been working busily, and over the next few months you'll start to see more things happening. We've have not done the best job at communicating what is going on, so to give some idea what we have been up to, we have...

Moved final assembly manufacturing to Williams, California, including training manufacturing staff
Shipping new products and conducting repairs/service for current customers
Made multiple changes to improve manufacturability
Recently manufactured a production run of ClearNav Air Data Computers for our variometers and a new run of nexus boards came out of manufacturing last week
Purchased and installed a new laser cutter and 3D printer to improve manufacturing (and packaging and prototyping)
3D scanned parts, producing 3D CAD models and test pieces

And of course software is the heart of everything, and we have rejuvenated that work, there is ongoing software development happening:
ClearNav Variometer software development by David Masson
ClearNav Navigator software development by Chip Garner and Andy Hogben.

We are working on cleaning up ClearNav marketing and improving the outdated website.

We've done a lot of work to understand the glider computer business.. The most important thing that we can do is make sure ClearNav is successful so it is around for many years to come. We are well aware of the history with Cambridge Aero, and being a pioneer, even one as good as Cambridge is not enough. We are proud to be associated with the legacy of Cambridge Aero Instruments. We purchased ClearNav exactly because we believe in the products and their design philosophy want to see them have a long successful future.

We are especially proud of our loyal customer base. It is heartening to know that at least 7 of the top ten contestants of the US 18m nationals choose to fly with Clear Nav .

We do enjoy user feedback, please post on the ClearNav forum at ClearNav.net your suggestions.

Please come and talk with us at our booth at the SSA Convention in Reno.

Rex Mayes
ClearNav

LX continues software upgrades to older models,
ClearNav seemed to left owners of CN1 forgotten.
If someone spends over $2000 for CN2 now, and you develop CN3 next year....

Ryszard

Ryszard... you left out the fact that at CN2 intro, everyone with a CN1 was offered the chance to upgrade their existing CN to CN2 for $1000. New processor, new screen, new software, new baro calibration and a new 2 year warranty. It's true, they didn't send a white gloved tech in a Bentley out to your airport to service it in your glider while you waited, but come on...

The truth is, software development ended on CN1 because CN1 hardware could not support what needed doing.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman

AAAAnd
ClearNav 1 works very well. It is just slow when integrated with Flarm.
UH

Just for the record, I flew little with LX9000, a lot with CN2(2.5 years) and a lot my favorite CN1(7.5 years).I don't see speed difference between CN1 and CN2 connected to PowerFlarm or FlarmMouse.
When you have to switch battery power on task CN1 restarts and remembers everything and you still have one flight in a logger.
If same with CN2 , for fast switch it stays on(big capacitor in the regulator), but if few seconds , you loose previous part of the flight, you dont have a start and logger has 2 flights.
My CN1 never freezes,but back seat of my friends Arcus, CN2 freezes , you have to restart, then you loose all previous flight.
Having all the same inputs in front CN2 like back CN1, 25 miles out on final,
they differ 1200 ft arrival altitude, and this continues till 2 miles out,
when CN2 rapidly changes its over optimistic mind and starts to agree with CN1.
Final glide algorithm of CN1 is main reason, it is my favorite.
This could be only unit specific feeling.
If one has problem with CN in US ,it can be repaired in 3 days(over night shipping).
If one has problem with LX9000 in US , will have to wait 1 month.
If one is new to CN in US, will have min. 5 pilots at the field to help.
If one is new to LX9000 in US, will not find anybody at the field to help.
Its opposite in Europe.
Ryszard