Old February 6th 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

Sorta like someone that may complain about Windoz, but it works and you get support....or, pick a flavor of Linux to, "do your own thang" but more limited support.
Neither is great, neither is bad. How much do you want (does it do what you perceive you need....usually does) vs. "I want control of almost everything (fine, unless you walk into a corner and need help getting back out).

I have no issues with ClearNav, but the last few years, I haven't flown enough to be solid on what it can do. I have been dealing with "Cambridge" since Raouf was the main driver, so yes, I have a bias.
Current systems sorta allow me to "drop in, figure it out, I'm my own worst enemy in soaring.....". The device won't suddenly make me better, a lot more hours in the air will make a huge dent in that.

As to which is better.........well.......how many local peeps use the same/similar? If a lot, they may do a 10 minute walk through on a good Soaring day and off you go.
If nobody, how good is your Internet connection on the field and how much day do you want to blow resolving a potentially minor setting issue?

Just something to consider.