Old March 10th 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default lightest DLG gliders

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 4:42:58 PM UTC-8, wrote:
"And that's why the metric system rules worldwide - except for some backwater countries."

"There are two systems of measurement. The Metric system, and the one that put a man on the Moon." (Anonymous)

Yeah, yeah, I know. Parochial and childish, but it is what it is. I personally use both systems interchangeably.

So at the present time, the "English" measurements are used in, uhh, Liberia, Myanmar and the US. Runnin' with the Big Dogs!

All the Metric system does is throw out a bunch of units which over centuries were developed because they were useful. We could convert the Imperial system to 'metric' the same way: every weight would be quoted in ounces, every measurement in inches. Done. But not really useful. A mile would become 63 Kinches. Gliders would weigh 18.512 Kounces, rather than 1157 pounds. And the world would think us brilliant. But a mile is actually a useful unit, in context, as is a pound and a ton.