Old October 16th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_6_]

Default Midway museum - San Diego

"J.McEachen" wrote in news:Nh7Yg.14755$6S3.9318
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Well, there is an exhibit on the hangar deck that states this. Next trip
I'll photograph it and send it to you. "Montana" rings a bell with me.
The post below stating "design" rings a bell, but the shape sure isn't
like Forrestal. While this exhibit on the hull origins looks factual, I
did bite my tongue when the bridge guide called the "blisters"
counterweights welded to the hull below the waterline to counterbalance
the weight topside.

Well, counterweight might not be the best term, but they were definitely
intended to increase available displacement and make it less top heavy. When
I was aboard from '80 to '83, we did an extensive weighing evolution because
the ship was overweight and top heavy. Several measures were taken at that
time to reduce the topside weight, but they were only a small help.

Here's a link to a good description of the mod, with many pictures.
http://midwaysailor.com/midwayeisra86/

Dave in San Diego
AT1 USN (Ret)
CV-41 1980-1983