Old October 18th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Midway museum - San Diego

William Hughes wrote: U.S. Navy conversions to aircraft carriers:

1 collier (USS Langley)
2 battlecruisers (Lexington-class fleet carriers)(converted while
building)
9 light cruisers (Independence-class light carriers)(converted while
building)

SNIP

Sorry, but no

I don't have my refverences handfy, but only the first several vessels
were laid down as CL's. The remainider, like my dad's ship the San
Jacinto (CVL-30), were built on hulls of modified CL design, but laid
down as carriers by New York Ship

4 oilers (Sangamon-class escort carriers)
30-odd merchant hulls (USS Long Island, Bogue-class escort carriers,
HMS Archer, Avenger-class and Attacker-class escort carriers)

SNIP

Actually no.

Same deal as the Independence class

Lomg Island & HMS Archer, converted

Charger/HMS Attacker class, converted

Bogue Class/HMS AvengerClass, some converted, some laid down as
carriers using C3 hull design

Prince William/HMS Ruler Class- laid down as carriers using C3 hull
design