Old November 28th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default Electric Car Conversion Companies: Alternatives To Gas Powered Cars

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
Roger (K8RI) wrote:

Even good high capacity battery packs such as Nickel Metal Hydride
(which also makes a good Hydrogen sponge) is expensive and no light
weight. Typical MiMH packs used in hybrids today run on the order of
$4,000 plus and they are sufficient only when used in conjunction with
a small gas engine. It's possible, but doubtful two packs ($8,000)
would manage 40 miles even in city driving.

My favorite answer to the range problem of batteries is to not try to do
it. Sort of like the way you ended your post, don't rely on one
technology.

Combine the battery vehicles with mass-transit railways. Just flatbed
trailers, really. Drive your electric a few miles to the local station,
and drive it up onto the train for the commute or to the next town. Drive
it off at (or near) the destination, and go where you want.

Electrics have problems with range. Mass-transit has the same problem
that airplanes do...once you arrive at the station/airport, how do you go
the last 5 miles. Combine the two, and there are some interesting
possibilities.

It's called a "Land Ferry" and it makes a lot of sense. Amtrack runs a
service from the Northeast to Florida. If I could get my motorcycle on a
train for California this winter, I'd do it.