Old December 27th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hilton

Default Seeking advice- checkride tips

Terence Wilson wrote:
Thanks Hilton. Regarding the "stupid screw-up" comment I made, I had
thought the context would have made it evident that by "stupid" I
didn't mean dangerous or life-threatening, rather stupid in the sense
that it could get me a pink-slip. For example, calling ground before
receiving the ATIS or twisting the OBS before starting the turn or
using a parallel entry when it should have been a teardrop.

....and none of these would get you busted - not even close. I wouldn't even
clasify these as mistakes let alone "stupid mistakes". The PTS does not
specify the hold entry. I teach the student to do the most logical one
without putzing with wierd finger positions and gadgets.

My CFII is
a very well respected 5500 hour ATP, a little more expensive than the
rest, but well worth it. I don't consider myself to be a very good
student, but he keeps saying I'm ready for the checkride, so go
figure!

If your only mistakes are the ones you've mentioned above, looks like you
chose you CFI wisely and he did a good job.

And trust me, I do sweat real-life. Everytime time I fly, checkride or
not, I think about everything that could go wrong.

OK, but also remember to have fun!

Oh, while I'm on my "safety before white slip" preaching, you gonna ask the
DE to do clearing turns before your various maneuvers under the hood? It's
your ass up there. If my DE said "No, don't worry about them.", as PIC I'd
insist we do them. Just because the DE says you don't need them doesn't
negate the laws of physics. There is a caveat. If you've just done various
turns, he might have (probably) used those for clearing turns, so you're
good to go, but make sure that clearing turns have been done.

Hilton