Old March 15th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Cook[_2_]

Default motorgliders as towplanes

Good point!

Re-reading my own posts I came to the same conclusion this morning.

So it is possible to be in "good" tow position, and have the rope impart
a forward and downward pull (relative) to the glider!

20 degrees still seems like a lot to me. I guess it depends on the weight
of the rope, and the drag on the glider.

Cookie

At 10:58 15 March 2009, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 15 Mar, 05:30, Bob Cook wrote:

If the tow line formed a 20 degree =A0angle to the glider, (from tow

plan=
upward to glider) the glider would have to be 72 feet =A0ABOVE the tow
plane.

Only if the tow rope were straight. He has already said that it was in
a clearly visible catenary curve.

Ian