Old May 12th 05, 07:22 AM
G. Sylvester

Dave Stadt wrote:
"airman" wrote in message
. ..
The CNN pilot-reporter, Miles O'Brien, made a good point. These guys took
off from an uncontrolled airfield, implying that they were not adept with
ordinary ATC as would pilots be who were trained or who are resident at a
Class D or C towered field.

That's absolute bull crap. I fly out of an uncontrolled airport as do
probably 100 or more airline and other professional pilots pilots. Are they
not adept at talking to ATC because they fly out of an uncontrolled airport?
That's got to be one of the dumbest statements ever. But then leave it to
CNN.

it isn't a bunch of crap. I've heard many many people here on usenet
asking about flying into the LA area, SFO area, etc. because the
last time they dealt with ATC was when they had to do 3 t/o and landings
at a controlled airport for their private. Of course they are not
comfortable talking to ATC especially if they don't have their
instrument. As for me, I fly out of SQL right underneath
the approach into SFO (pattern level is 800 and SFO ILS practically
over the pattern at 1800). As a student pilot on my long XC, I went
through SFO bravo and were talking to SFO Tower. No big deal. For
others with only have talked semi-casually on a CTAF it could be
completely new.

Gerald