Old November 3rd 03, 01:30 AM
Peter Dohm

Eric Miller wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

Are you sure it's the VW's butt that's the problem? big grin

Eric

OOOOH! THAT HURTS! :-)

Although I am slightly over one standard FAA person, not by much.

I do tend to believe Vwub's articles that peg the VW at around 40 hp as

much
more realistic. That is a lot of weight for that amount of power.
--
Jim in NC

Let's put it this way... I don't have any room to talk

As far as the engine is concerned I know it's 2180cc, which everyone calls
75hp, though I'm pretty sure that's takeoff power and not continuous.

Using the standard 2 cubic inches per HP that is common to Lycomings and
Continentals, 2180cc = 133 ci = 66.5 HP, which is probably a more realistic
number.

BTW I hope reliability isn't too bad.. I'm gonna be flying behind a Great
Plains 2180cc VW soon!

Eric

This assumes you need to turn a 6 foot diameter propeller, which seems pretty
generous for the power. I calculate nearly 80 HP at about 3200 rpm, which is
similar to the crankshaft speed of the Jabiru engines, so the 75 HP figure
should be acheivable.

Hopefully, any resonance problems have been dealt with by the engine or
crankshaft manufacturer, and you are using the same propeller as they recommend.

Peter