Old March 31st 04, 05:30 PM

"Jim Knoyle" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
.. .
Andrew Chaplin wrote:

" wrote:

Alan Minyard wrote:

It is the effect that occurs when ball or roller bearings are not

rotated
for a long period of time, resulting in differing levels of hardness
in the metal (the brinell scale is a measure of the hardness of a

metal).

Thanks Al...wasn't familiar with that term...

"Brinell" is also used as a verb to describe what happens when a cone
or cup is marked by ball bearings during an impact. I learned about it
working in a bike shop in the early 70s -- always support the bottom
bracket axle when driving cotter pins from the cranks, especially when
working on Sturmey Archer stuff.

Yes, that makes sense also, the 'hardness' factor would be
evident here...thanks Andrew...
--

Has anyone mentioned the term 'boxcar' as when the wheelbearings
of automobiles are damaged by the constant rocking during shipping?

JK

No, never heard that Jim...makes sense though.
--

-Gord.