Old August 18th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

On 8/17/2010 7:05 PM, Morgans wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
Video of wing failure via AVweb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8cntPdRtk

RANS S-9 loses a wing in an airshow doing aerobatics; pilot survives
because plane is equipped with BRS and promptly deployed.

Fantastic to see a good end to a possibly terrible situation. Now I have to
wonder why all stunt pilots do not have a BRS chute. Seems like the best
way to save your life. The extra weight would be worth it, if you need it.

Natural to wonder whether some earlier stunt actually partially cracked
the
spar.

Yep. He was doing some pretty violent snaps right before that outside loop
started.

I wonder if he had a peak recording G meter. I think I would want one if I
was doing acro.

The push into an inverted loop ("bunt") is the prime opportunity for a
wing to fold, no doubt.

Brian W