Old July 6th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Default Logger Choice

At 04:36 06 July 2007, Soaringxcellence wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:37 pm, 'Paul Remde' wrote:
Hi Jamie,

For my 2 cents, please see the following web site.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flightrecorders.htm

I'm flying with an EW connected to an iPAQ hx4700
and with the Pocket PC
powered with a Socket Mobile Power Pack (as shown
on the web site).

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

'Jamie Denton' wrote in

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a logger for personal
use
and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
It won't be fitted to any single glider (I fly club
gliders mainly), so being a self contained unit (inc.
power) is essential. For me the things I care about
*IGC approval (I do fly comps so this is important)
*Battery life and Memory
*Reliability
*Integration with PDA (I use XCSoar)
*Price
*Ease of use

Things I'm not too worried about
*Integration with other equipment (Lnavs/Flarm etc)
*Provided navigation info

At the moment I'm torn between a Collibri V4 and
an
EW Microrecorder, has anyone any thoughts?

TIA

Jamie

For the less technically adept the EW is the hands
down winner.

We have one at the contest in Ephrata this week and
the pilot is
usually asking for help to get his logs. He's doing
just fine and no
need for a laptop at the glider.

The only possible negative it the 'sleep' time. He
lost a log on
Sunday (practice day) because he turned on the logger
and didn't check
it at take off. Because of the long launch delay,
the logger has
timed out and was off for the flight. Fortunately
it was on the
practice day and since he has been careful to only
turn the logger on
as he gets into the glider.

Mike

You can easily adjust or de-activate the auto-off time
function to prevent that problem.