Old April 7th 12, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Walters[_2_]

Default Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20?

On Apr 6, 2:30*pm, Three Uniform wrote:
I fly a V2C. I believe that fuselage is identical to a 2B.
I fly recreational long XC in the Sierras, dressed for flying at
freezing point.
I always wear a parachute.
At 5'10" and 155lbs bare, the seating is comfortable, but still not
overly roomy sideways.
My seating is fairly reclined. Head room is more than adequate. Panel
reach is fine, rudder paddles are 2/3 back.
Long XC (+6 hours) is fine with no back aches, but not much room to
move.
Reaching into the back of side pockets is doable with a little bit of
stress.
Filling the front of the side pockets takes away from the room for
your arms.
I removed the cable for the back adjustment to have more space in the
arm area.
Reaching the storage shelf behind the head rest is close to
impossible. I can barely pull a fleece from the back.

I sat in a friend's Discus A and concluded that is was not for me. Too
tight for my comfortable recreational flying requirements.
Maybe acceptable if you want to sacrifice the comfort for a little
less drag for competitive advantage.
(My friend is about same size and achieved top5 OLC score in this
DiscusA, so it is for sure doable)

3U

The Ventus 2c is completely different from the 2b, as are the Discus
2b, 2C. The 2C's are much longer and more comfortable. The 2C's are
the only sailplane I can fly with a backpack parachute. I am 197 cm,
6'-5"+. There is about 3" more legroom in the 2C models. ASW20 and
V2b, Db cockpits are very similar in size.
Rick Walters