Old February 25th 04, 03:58 PM
Martin Kosina

Followup after talking to one of my partners: We're pretty sure it's an RC
Allen. It's been in a little longer than I thought, more like 12 years instead
of 10. It's been repaired twice in the 12 years. The first time was relatively
reasonable and cost a few hundred dollars. The second time was over a thousand
and was called an 'overhaul'. The overhaul was done by Kelly Instruments. My
partner's feeling is that the reliability and repair cost was no different from
any typical gyro. The net is that maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

The installation in my airplane is over on the copilot's side, so it's
way out of my scan and therefore pretty much worthless. I'd go partial
panel with the turn coordinator and mag compass before I'd try to use a
gauge so far out of my scan. If you install an electric, be sure to put
it where you can see it.

Dave, thanks for the feedback ! Sounds like RCA, Kelly Inst. is the
manufacturer of that brand.

I bit the bullet and got one, will put it just right of the center
stack for now, but I could also go into what is now the #2 CDI spot
and move that to the right. That would look a bit funny, but may make
for a much better cross-check. In any case, I'll definitely practice
with it before considering it a solid backup.

Martin