Old February 6th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default High time Bo A36 anyone?

I'm wondering if anyone here owns a Bonanza A36 (or any Bo with a
similar wing structure) with high airframe time (10,000 hours)?

I ask because my local A&P who rebuilds a lot of wrecked airplanes knows
of an A36 that had a nose gear collapse and has been collecting dust in
a hangar for the last several years. I don't have all of the details,
but I understand it is a mid-80s airframe with about 12,000 hours that
was used for some sort of freight delivery. It is missing the engine
and prop and obviously needs the nose and nose gear rebuilt, but he does
that for a living so that isn't a concern.

He thinks he can repair the airframe, replace the engine (he apparently
has the appropriate core on hand to rebuild) and prop, paint it and
still have less than about $100K in it. I'm considering this, but am
quite leery of a Bo wing with that many hours. I know of a lot of
strut-braced Cessna's with more hours than that and am not aware of any
structural issues. However, I've read about the issues over the years
with cracks in the spars of several high time cantilever wing singles
such as the Cherokee, the T-34, etc.

So, I'd appreciate any information available on the durability of the
A36 airframe as it accumulates hours in excess of 10,000. I searched on
Trade-a-Plane and found nothing for sale with more than about 7,000 hours.

Matt