Old March 7th 05, 08:52 PM
1MoClimb

It doesn't say anything anyway, just that there was a crash on

practice
day.

Here is a copy of Charlie's report, hope he doesn't mind:

Hi race fans 3/5/2005

Today was the practice day for the 2005 Seniors. We had a good March
soaring day and the lift took the guys to over 5,000 AGL. 57 Gliders
left the ground including guests for a 130-mile practice TAT task. No
clouds but good consistent lift made for an interesting day.

During the finishes Don Taylor in his DG-800S came in over the gate
with low energy. We thought he would proceed to land straight ahead but
instead he pulls up and heads for the pattern. Low and slow, he decides
to abandon the pattern and turns north to attempt a landing to the
south. During the downwind (now upwind) leg we see him stall twice and
then when he tries to make the turn to base the plane slips and goes
below the tree line nose first.

All of us are in terror as people began to run toward the last
sighting. Suddenly on 123.3 Don's voice comes over loud and clear "
I am down and OK not even a scratch!" We all finally take a breath of
relief and began to try and find him.

Don has crashed into the swamp behind some of the airport houses at the
north end of the runway. The wings are shredded but the fuselage is
undamaged, coming to rest in a cypress with an unbroken canopy some 5
feet above the swamp. Don was able to get out of the glider after once
again radioing the gate telling everyone he was OK. By this time
someone has called 911 and we can hear the sirens coming toward us.

Several pilots and crews slog through the swamp to get to Don, but he
had already walked out.

Everyone who has seen the wreak say it is a write-off. It will be a
very difficult retrieve but some guys are getting together tomorrow to
see what they can do. Don says the water right under the glider is
about 8" deep.

Back to the race: Wifred Krueger was the hot dog today, flying his
DG-808B 140 miles at 53 MPH raw to win the 2 =BD minimum time task. Gene
Rinke took second and Doug Jacobs flew to third. Dave Stevenson flying
his first Seniors took 4th, and Dick Butler got 5th.

The Senior contest is sold out this year and with the guests it is a
full airport. The weather looks like it will be good at least for the
next two days so we think we will get off to a good start.

Check right here at the SSA after each contest day for a complete
report.

See you at the airport,

Charlie