Old March 5th 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Brian Whatcott

Default Plane for Short Field, Grass Strip, Beginner?

On 3/1/2011 11:36 AM, MBDiagMan wrote:
Background:

I am about a 60 hour, non current pilot who hasn't flown in about 13
years. I have a pipeline coming through my place that has produced
funds and this Summer will take out a clump of trees that will free up a
place for about an 1,100 feet grass strip in the direction of the
prevailing wind.

I solo'd in an Aeronca Champ and then did most of my flying in a 150. I
flew once in a Hershey Bar Cherokee 140 and liked it, although it felt
quite different than the other planes I had flown.

Question:

I would like to get something for under $20K that I can use for
recreational flying and on a nice day, take my wife to visit her twin
sister about 200 miles away. I don't need a fancy panel, just the
basics. I don't need a real fresh engine because I won't by piling on
hours at a rapid pace.

I will need a plane for the relatively short grass strip I described for
daylight take off and landing. My idea is a 150 or a Cheorkee 140. I
would love an old tail dragger like a Champ or a Cub, but they seem
quite pricey and probably not well suited for a 200 mile flight with my
wife.

I plan on using the plane for the instruction flying that I will need to
get current again and will have an instructor work with me to get
comfortable with my grass strip.

Any comments, advice and/or plane recommendations are appreciated.

Doc

The C-150 would work for you, except that annuals are getting pricey,
and parts are going up. My last annual came in at 2 grand, and the plane
was in quite respectable shape before hand.
It would be better to buy a new plane, but that's not gonna happen
on your budget. Perhaps if you could find a sympathetic A&P thereabouts,
you could make it work out...

Brian W