Old July 6th 03, 06:27 PM
Cecil Turner

BUFDRVR wrote:

Those who expose themselves to enemy fire
do not have the same regard for those who don't.

Hogwash! I've got several friends who have missed (just due to poor timing and
luck) DESERT STORM, ALLIED FORCE, ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM and I hold
them in the same regard as I do those that saw action. In fact, many of those
that have missed out I hold in higher regard then many of the crewmembers who
have logged combat time.

You don't have a special affection for the crew(s) with which you flew in combat? If
not, I believe you are in the decided minority. And the historical and literary
references abound (e.g., "Scots who have with Wallace bled," "And gentlemen in England
now abed . . .") Keegan wrote an entire book on it (though I can't recall the title,
and frankly didn't care for it much). I wouldn't throw it into others' faces, but
denying the phenomenon exists is, IMO, unsupportable.

BTW, it's nice to see someone can strongly disagree without being disagreeable.

rgds,
KTF