Old January 26th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default What do you think of the 13.5 Meter Class?

Someone observed...

Some of you guys are extremely defensive about your wing size.

Heh. And stepping briefly onto a soapbox...

Given the generally-accepted sorry state of soaring and it's 'growth'
around the globe these years, I genuinely cringe upon encountering the
too-commonly expressed statement/implication that anything under 15
meters isn't:
a) capable of XC;
b) somehow 'unworthy' of real gliderpilots.

I cringe not because I disagree with the sentiments (though I do), but
because I think propounding the belief has real potential to be actively
detrimental to the future of the sport, particularly when considering
how a newbie might view the world.

Anything we do or say which actually - or indirectly - raises the
barriers to entry isn't good. IMVHO. So let's not do it? (What a concept!)

Clearly, the facts are 15 meter ships have been - and continue to be -
flown XC 'all the time' in the U.S. - east and west (the U.S. being the
country with which I'm most familiar). As for whether or not these
pilots are 'real pilots,' my vote is to save your opinions for
0'beer-thirty discussions...

I've no problem with loving whatever class of glider one presently
flies, nor with propounding the advantages of it. Nor do I have a
problem with anyone holding factually incorrect views on XC performance
requirements. But please don't put forth your views as facts in arenas
where lower-time/uninformed/wannabe-XC pilots might be (inaccurately)
influenced.

Hops off soabbox...

Regards,
Bob - all soaring/XC is good, regardless of wingspan - W.