View Single Post
Old July 16th 20, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rianmonnahan
external usenet poster

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 4:46:35 AM UTC+2, Charlie Quebec wrote:
In the last east issue of Gliding Australia there is an incident report shown below.
During the course of a cross country flight, the pilot elected to start the jet sustainer to self retrieve.
The engine started normally, and the pilot tracked for the home airflield The engine failed catastrophically
830ft. AGL and a safe outlanding was conducted.
Things that make you go hmmmm...

I own and operate an EASA certified JS1 w/ an M&D jet sustainer engine in the Alps. I have found the system very reliable, but I don't trust it to save me from an outlanding or, worse, being trapped down low in an alpine valley.

With one exception I kick myself for this very day, I have always started the engine within easy range of an airport. Often I'll start the motor earlier to avoid a situation where I am forced to fire it up down low, when my only option is a field.

I am perhaps too prudent but I fly over some pretty nasty territory. Even when it looks flat, it's not. And the JS1-21m requires some care to land safely and short.

The nicest thing about the jet vs. classical sustainer is this - if it does not start, you have almost 0% added drag with the thing hanging out the fuselage. The proof is in the pudding...

Shortly after I received the beast, I fired up the motor before a cross-country flight to re-assure myself it would start. I usually don't let the automated system retract the motor when the EGT sensor says the hardware is 50C. I do that manually and usually wait for the equipment to cool to much lower tempertures before stowing it.

I must have been distracted with ATC or something. I was flying around the Lyon TMA that day. I shut the engine system off withough retracting the engine. I managed for fly 650 km with the jet windmilling. I did not even notice.

As for fuel, I usually use BP excellium and Cross T 2 stoke oil. I wish I could buy the Shell Gas-Diesel in my kneck of the woods. I've never noticed any start up issues related to altitude or temperature. Then again, I can't imagine any reason why I might start the beast up at 3000m. I can glide at least 100km on that without the motor.

Yes, the mountains are high in the Alps but the valleys are quite low and the density of airports is more than adequate. I can imagine a high and hot start in South Africa or the Western US. Different conditions.

A+