Old July 13th 04, 02:49 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Where are these $500 transponders? I have a machine shop in my basement. I
could make a faceplate, although I doubt that the FAA would approve. Are
these things yellow tagged?

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"Brian Sponcil" wrote in message

Well you CAN get a kt-70 mode S from JA Air for $500. Of course it'll be
missing its faceplate which you'll either have to have custom made by a
plastic millwork shop or you can pony up the eyeball exploding $1300 to

have
king do it. Either way you're WELL below the $5,000 new units. Of course
you won't get traffic or weather but still....

-Brian
N33431

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
Jeeze,

I just checked on the prices of the Garmin GTX 330, and the King
equivalents, and either make is in the $5,000 range. We can get a
pin-for-pin compatable Narco that slides into our existing AT50 tray for
just over $1,000. On that basis alone, I doubt that a Mode S

requirement
is
coming anytime soon. Sorry I asked.