Old April 11th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Default four course radio range video

Peter Taggart wrote
Aircraft navigation in the 1940's

What do you mean "1940's"? In 1959, I was a Naval Aviation Cadet in
Kingsville, TX completing my Radio Instrument Training in the Grumman
S-2F Tracker. Most of the Instrument Check flight was around the Alice
Radio Range and consisted of a "Range Orientation", "Tracking Inbound",
a "Two Engine Range Approach" followed by a "Single Engine Missed
Approach", a "Single Engine Range Approach", and then a "Manual Direction
Finding Approach" on one engine. The flight concluded back at NAS
Kingsville with a couple of "Single-Engine GCA's". There were no approaches
on the Check Ride using the relatively new "VOR" system as these were
considered "too easy".

Bob Moore
Naval Aviator V-15753
PanAm (retired)