Old April 11th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Taggart

Default four course radio range video

On Apr 11, 11:06*am, Bob Moore wrote:
Peter Taggart wrote

Aircraft navigation in the 1940's

What do you mean "1940's"? In 1959, I was a Naval Aviation Cadet in
Kingsville, TX completing my Radio Instrument Training in the Grumman
S-2F Tracker. Most of the Instrument Check flight was around the Alice
Radio Range and consisted of a "Range Orientation", "Tracking Inbound",
a "Two Engine Range Approach" followed by a "Single Engine Missed
Approach", a "Single Engine Range Approach", and then a "Manual Direction
Finding Approach" on one engine. The flight concluded back at NAS
Kingsville with a couple of "Single-Engine GCA's". There were no approaches
on the Check Ride using the relatively new "VOR" system as these were
considered "too easy".

Bob Moore
Naval Aviator V-15753
PanAm (retired)

Hi bob... Did you see the Video??? what did you think? I know the
range was used from 1928 to 1970 give or take few years We have
been having a BLAST with our 'range station at 41,000 feet we can
track it out to 300 NM!!! It is spot on! all four legs to boot!
let me know how you liked it!!

Dave