Old July 9th 03, 02:54 PM
Rich Ahrens

Happy Dog wrote:
Flying at night is instrument flying if you're actually going anywhere.
(This comment is not directed towards the poster to which I'm responding.)
And, with instrument flying skills, it's no big deal. But it is often real
IMC stuff.

On overly broad generalization by a long shot. I don't know what part of
the world you live in, but out here in the great fly-over there are plenty
of visual references for night flying in many weather conditions. I'd
consider "going anywhere" to include trips across multiple states for
hundreds of miles, and I've done that in night VFR numerous times. Yeah,
instrument skills are a valuable fallback, but the flights were not
instrument flights by a long shot.