Old July 20th 03, 04:30 AM
Big John

Forgot to include the fact that I have had a better (more
comprehensive) background check than 99 % of the individuals who do
the terrorist check at airports.

I'm wondering if this is associated with the 'dumbing down' that has
taken place with affirmative action and the modern school curriculum?

Big John

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:55:08 -0500, Big John
wrote:

I had a Top Secret clearance while on active duty (now honorably
retired), was Project Officer on the Air to Air nuclear rocket and sat
alert with same, I was trusted with a finger on the trigger. I also
have passed the requirements (FBI investigation into my background)
for a gun carry permit here in TX.

I also voted for George Bush.

Why am I treated like a terrorist each time I fly commercial?

Big John

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:31:16 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Mike Weller" wrote in message
ews.com...
Sir, don't you realize that by wearing that button, you are in fact a
terrorist? It scares passengers and crew, and is completely without
socially or politically redeeming value.

First of all, the person wearing the button was John Gilmore, not Martin.

As for the effects of wearing the button go, you have slightly more of a
point. In an environment where passengers are not permitted to joke about
bombs, it seems a logical extension of the spirit of that rule for
passengers to not joke about being a terrorist.

However, IMHO Gilmore has the better point. There's no "free speech"
defense for saying you have a bomb, but clearly by at least one valid
interpretation of the government's actions, we are all suspected terrorists.
If Gilmore's button had said "I am a terrorist", that would be like joking
about having a bomb. But it didn't. It said he's a *suspected* terrorist,
and given that the government is treating us all like suspects, his form of
speech seems perfectly valid to me.

Remember, it's not illegal to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater if the
theater is actually on fire.

Pete