Old October 18th 11, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Northern UT ridge day

On Oct 17, 3:42*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Oct 16, 6:45*am, Tony wrote:

On Oct 15, 11:44*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:

On Oct 15, 10:24*am, Ron Gleason wrote:

3 pilots going for long ridge flights in N Utah today. *Launched
around 8am. *Track them here

Tim Taylor (TT) Ventus 2A -http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0taQlL3JA...

Dan Wrobel (DW) Ventus B -http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0leWqtE18...

York Zenter (W) Nimbus 3 -http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0FPA73k7m...

Good luck guys. *Hoping wave sets up!

Ron Gleason

Looks like Lynn Alley did well out of Morgan, but no sign of logs from
those above - are they still flying?

We are still suffering from 100 degree weather in Arizona and the
accompanying 10 kt thermals.

Mike

I had a short conversation with TT on facebook last night, he said he
would be posting in the morning. Was a bit tired after 10 hrs airborne
yesterday.

Looking at his altitude trace I can see why!

Mike

It was a good day but weaker than the forecasts predicted. There was
a shear layer at about 8000 feet (3500 agl) that seemed to be making
the ridges weaker than normal for the winds we were seeing (~15 mph
out of the SW). Three of us got stuck for several hours on a short
section of ridge waiting (hoping?) for a thermal to kick off to allow
us to get to higher ground. In the end the four gliders flying used a
combination of ridge, thermal and wave during the day.

Was still fun and good practice for long flights with nearly 10 hours
in the cockpit of an "a" model SH. We are looking for better long
range predictions for the ideal days. Mike or Walt you want to put
your skills to helping us predict the better days? Northern Utah
presents some challenges in that you need the correct west winds over
several layers of the air mass from ground level to 6500 feet agl and
need the cloud base to stay high enough to stay VFR near the mountain
tops. The trick is getting all three in the same day over a 150
miles section of ridge.

Tim (TT)