Old October 20th 04, 03:23 PM
Mike Rapoport

UPS was not Garmin's "main competitor". UPS had insignificant revenue,
didn't make money and really had to sell. Everybody complains about the
"loss of competition" but very few were buying UPS's products. The choice
was being aquired or disappearing.

Mike
MU-2

"Roy Page" wrote in message
ink.net...
Al,
I have to say I think you may be entirely correct.
For sure Garmin should not have been allowed to buy out their main
competitor.
And, I think the 480 interface is more in line with the regular 'IFR
system'

The reason I asked for help in deciding was based on the cost issue.
If the 480 was a few percent higher in cost that the 430 I would have no
doubts.

However, another factor has emerged by the responses to this posting.
My Archer has the factory installed King stack, KMA20, KX170B, KX170B and
Transponder.
Like many before me I am intending to take out the #1 KX170B and KI214 and
move them down to the #2 position.
A 430 sits nicely in the hole left in the #1 position, but the 480 is
deeper and will need the transponder moved.

Next year, if I am not bankrupt, I hope to fit a MX170B and a new audio
panel
My existing avionic stack looks dated, but all the stuff is in excellent
condition and is very well positioned.
I can't afford to upgrade all the gear in one go, but don't want to finish
up with an untidy and hard to work stack.

Roy

"Al Marzo" wrote in message
Roy;
Get the newest and best you can afford. Garmin has a long history of
abandoning its older line and I'll suspect that's what will happen to
the 430. First, they'll upgrade the unit for about as much money as
the 480, then they'll just stop doing it. Secondly, all the rich guys
;-) will be taking their 430's out for the 480's and ebay will be
flooded with them. Then JA Air will be offering "factory
reconditioned" 430's which are really old factory stock to move them
out.

As I've stated before, the worst thing that could have happened was
that Garmin would be allowed to buy their competition.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:58:35 GMT, "Roy Page"
wrote:

I was all ready to install a GNS 430 but now feeling that a GNS 480 may
be a
better option.
Although more expensive, I am getting the impression that the GNS 480 has
significant advantages.
It seems that UPS stole a lead on Garmin with their WAAS approved unit.
Now with Garmin owning the brand and the UPS unit being budged as the
Garmin
AT GNS 480 I am not sure which unit to install.
Will Garmin upgrade the 430's display and software to give it WAAS
capability or will they just upgrade the GNS 530 and leave the 430 a poor
relation ??
Over to the group to help me decide - Install a 430 or 480 ?

Roy Page [N5804F Archer II]
Beloit Ohio 44609