Old July 8th 16, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Al-Ko Trailer Tongue failure

I've often thought that the source of many trailer failures here in the U.S.. is partly that we just drive a lot more miles/kms than the typical European customer. I just got back from a nearly 5,000 mi. round trip to Nephi. And I've made numerous trips west with this trailer. How common is that in Europe?

The nose cone/spare tire holder on my Cobra failed last year and fell over (fortunately without damage) not because of a failed or loose bolt but because of a failure of the weld at the base of the supporting post. I had a failure many years ago of an Al-Ko tongue on a Komet trailer when the welds that secure the front tongue bracket inside the trailer broke.

Cobra/Komet designs have continued to improve each year since we first saw their appearance here (in the 70s?). But it seems like many of those improvements are in response to "destruction testing" performed by helpful U.S. owners. Is our experience shared by owners in similarly wide-open regions such as, say, Australia?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"