Old July 22nd 04, 05:12 AM
Don Tuite

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:47:55 -0700, "BTIZ"
wrote:

I was told in early June by one of the pilots who kept his airplane at
Jackass, that the BLM was going to close "X" the runway.

It is a Bureau of Land Management Runway, and they had increased the lease
cost to over $100,000 per year, from around $150 the previous year. The 6
pilots based there could not afford the lease anymore, so the BLM was going
to close it.

There are no commercial fuel services available unless you are doing the
autogas thing and want to haul it a couple of miles.

The nearest fuel might be Stove Pipe Wells, or Furnace Creek in Death
Valley, there is no Fuel services at Beatty.

A long time ago, there was a chevron station adjacent to Shoshone that
had 55-gallong drums of avgas. Dunno if that's still that case. (A
long time ago was 1973.) As far as I know there was not and still is
no gas at stovepipe wells or furnace creek; the closest gas being at
Bishop.

Don