Old August 12th 04, 12:33 AM
Jim Cummiskey

What would an instructor say when we line up for 'final' at 30 degrees
to the runway? Probably not good job'...

Well, let's see. I got on the ground efficiently and precisely with the
minimum amount of fuel and time required. It was a completely safe
operation, and consistent with my understanding of the FARs and common
sense. Since I do hold a CFI ticket, that's exactly what I would have said
g There's a big difference between teaching a student to fly precise
legs in the pattern, and the real-world of getting from A to B.

What if ATC replies 'make left traffic, report 5 mile left base'?
Would you have driven straight for the numbers?

Nope, I would have driven straight for the normal point in the pattern where
one turns from base to final (approximately 1/2 mile from the numbers at a
45 deg angle to the runway). Actually, your question (although deliberately
smart-alecky and inane), really brings this problem into base relief. Are
you suggesting that I should have picked a point on the EXTENDED BASE 5
miles away and flown to that? If so, I see that as clearly just as wrong as
the "Report Y Miles Final" issue. In my view, a pilot should fly DIRECT to
the turning points in the pattern, NOT artifically extended just because the
controller really wants to know, "When will you be about five miles away?"
Thus, my decision to fly DIRECT to the point in the pattern where one turns
from base to final seems justifiable (while reporting five miles away from
the airport). Thoughts?

Regards, Jim

"HankC" wrote in message
om...
"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message

Hi, all. Ran into this one flying back from KOSH a couple weeks ago:

I check in with the KPRC controller "20 Miles NE" of Love Field in

Prescott,
AZ. She clears me with "Cleared Straight-in Runway 21L, Report 5 miles
final."

I fly directly towards the numbers. My heading was approximately 240
(hence, I'm ~30 deg off of the extended centerline).

At 5 miles from the airport (still offset from the centerline), I report

"5
mile final." She questions my position and gets all snippy (indeed,

darn
right rude) that I am "not on final" since I am not on the extended
centerline. She patronizingly cautions me to be "careful about this."

What would an instructor say when we line up for 'final' at 30 degrees
to the runway? Probably not good job'...

What if ATC replies 'make left traffic, report 5 mile left base'?
Would you have driven straight for the numbers?

HankC

HankC