Old May 27th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Do you own an IMI Power Rigger?

On Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6:15:04 AM UTC-7, Mike Clarke wrote:
At 03:30 27 May 2020, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 7:12:20 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 6:47:45 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 3:35:13 AM UTC-7, William

Kautter wrote:
I'm considering the purchase of an IMI Power Rigger. If

you own one
I=
would very much appreciate information about your experience

with it.
=20
Bill
=20
Wings & Wheels has a video that shows how it works. I have

one and it
w=
orks great except for ONE thing: if you leave it on, or you don't

use it
ov=
er the winter, the battery will die and you are dead in the water,

most
lik=
ely at the time you REALLY want to use it. You fix this by:
1. Buying a 2nd battery.
2. Buying a mating battery connector so you can power it

from another
b=
attery (someone posted a link where you can buy the

connector).
It's rated to lift something like 250 lbs (IF the battery is

good and
c=
harged). I had no problem with my ASH31Mi inner wing panels.

The quality
of=
construction is absolutely excellent (CNC machined parts, for

example).
Th=
e tires are solid rubber, so no flat tires at the start of the season
(been=
there, done that). Being able to tweak the wing position

remotely while
se=
arching for the exact alignment position is a major plus. I need

to come
up=
with a method of preventing the first wing from being pushed

out by the
se=
cond wing, but this is no fault of the rigger.
=20
My only complaint is it is a bit on the pricey side, but I think

you
ge=
t what you pay for.
=20
Tom
=20
"" if you leave it on, or you don't use it over the winter, the

battery
w=
ill die and you are dead in the water""
These are NiCad batteries. Playing with model airplanes a long

while
ago,=
the rule was to always charge the batteries before and after and

also
cycl=
e them to prevent a memory built up. Although I don't have a

battery
cycler=
any longer the next best thing is to run them down to "almost"

all the
way=
time to time and charge them back up. I kind of whish they

offered these
u=
nits with the newer lithium ion stuff through...

No, they aren't NICADs - the IMI uses a 2.9 AHr SLA battery

which
self-disc=
harge over a number of months.

Tom

And the tyres are inflatable, not solid. Would be rather heavy to
lift into the trailer if the tyres were solid. All this is in the
description on the IMI website anyway.

Mike

Yeah, it was the wing wheel I got from Craggy Aero that has a solid tire.

Tom