Old November 30th 05, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear Warning

Not stupid at all Mark, if you read your post that
is exactly what you have said. I accept that it might
not be what you meant.

Not all pilots who have a retractable undercarriage
and no alarm will land wheels up, in fact I would say
that, despite anecdotal 'evidence' to the contrary,
the majority will not.
I don't think I have ever said do not ever fit an alarm,
just be aware it is a double edged sword.

At 00:18 30 November 2005, Mark Newton wrote:
In article ,
Don Johnstone
wrote:

At 11:36 25 November 2005, Mark Newton wrote:
A wheels-up landing in an aircraft which doesn't have
an undercarriage alarm is a wholly predictable accident.
Why is there this attitude that says it's ok to see
it coming,
yawn about it, and do basically *nothing* to prevent
it?
I mean, you can stress checklists and piloting skill
as much
as you want, but we've built up a track record which
says
those things DON'T WORK to prevent these accidents,
while building
up a simultaneous record which says undercarriage
warnings
DO work. So why resist the fitment of undercarriage
warnings?

So, your argument is that all pilots will land with
the wheel up if they do not have an alarm fitted?

Contratulations, Don, for winning the award for stupidest
comment yet posted in this thread. Which is some feat.

As you were typing it, you *knew* that my argument
was nothing
of the sort, but you went ahead and typed it anyway.
Well done,
mate, your determination and willingness to push-on
regardless
of your own knowledge of the facts of the situation
stands
proud as an example to us all.

- mark