Old July 13th 03, 01:44 PM

Dave Butler wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Gig Giacona" wrote in message

So this means I will need to install and ADF in the plane I'm building in
order to use the ILS approach?

Not necessarily. GPS can substitute for ADF and ATC can sometimes issue
alternate missed approach instructions.

I think the alternate missed approach instructions still don't relieve the pilot
of the requirement to have all the equipment mentioned in the title of the
approach chart. Of course, no enforcement action unless there's an incident.

The naming convention in TERPS was changed about 3 years ago to shorten titles, so
that they fit better in RNAV databases. Thus, what is required for an ILS approach,
for instance, is what is implied by the title and what is stated by any equipment
notes, such as "ADF required," etc.

Formerly, when DME was mandatory on an ILS approach the title would be ILS/DME, but
for any auch approach revised in the past couple of years, or in the future it will
state ILS in the title, then there will be an equipment note "DME required."

And, alternate missed approach procedures are not charted, thus generally known only
to the ATC facility, when they even exist. Even if a pilot knew such alternate
missed approach procedure existed, it is not a reality unless the controlling ATC
facility assigns it once you're in their airspace and under their control.