Old November 12th 03, 12:25 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I have heard that solar panels are rated a bit optimistically (like glider
polars). So you may not get as much current as you think you will.

But it does sound nice and worth investigating. Let us know how it works
for you.

Paul Remde

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
.. .
I've come across some thin (0.008 inches), flexible solar panels that
look like they'd be ideal for gliders. These are the PowerFilm 7.2V
100mA ($30) units, with and without adhesive on the back:

http://store.sundancesolar.com/pow72v100maf1.html

So, $120 would buy me 4 panels, which would give me 200 ma at 15+
volts, almost enough keep up with my panel (including the
transponder) over a full day. By "full day", I'm including the time
it's tied out, as it would be at a soaring camp or on a safari, and a
five hour flight.

Has anyone used these, or know anything about them? Are there any
better units than these? I'm aware of the Strobl units from Germany,
but they are about twice the cost per amp.

--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)