Old October 11th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
OH Boy!

Default Future in Aviation for my Son?

Jay Honeck wrote:
As many of you know, my son is taking flight lessons. He's past solo,
and into his cross-country flights.

He's a senior in high school, and is wondering what to do with the
rest of his life. His initial aim has been going into engineering,
but has decided that math is not something he truly enjoys. (Although
he's good at it -- far, far more advanced than I am.)

He's now toying with the idea of a career in aviation. Possibilities
include:

- Commercial pilot
- Helicopter pilot
- Something on the business side of aviation.

I need some first-hand experiences, please. Hours worked, what to
expect at the entry level, how much college does your job require,
types of skills required, etc. What kinds of careers are out there
right now? What sort of college degree should a 17 year old pursue in
order to come out the other end with a successful job in aviation?

We're filling out applications for colleges, and his choice of
colleges will be steered by his decisions. Your input is very much
appreciated!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Maybe the field of commercial aviation may be OK but tell
him to stay away from the FAA or any aviation related
Government employment here in America if he is a
heterosexual white male.

There is absolutely no future in American Government service
or American big business unless he is:

1. Gay
2. A Black Female
3. An Overweight white female with nose warts

I would encourage him to pursue flying with a foreign
airline and learn another language maybe Chinese.