Old June 24th 05, 03:08 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:34:32 -0400, "firstflight"
wrote:

I have a composite kit aircraft, and it is time to paint! But I just hate
the idea of painting it WHITE (like most all the others). I understand that
HEAT is a big factor in this decision, and that white attracts the least
amount of heat which could disrupt the Epoxy over time. Since my plane is
held together with Epoxy, this seems like a valid concern.

What do you think people? Does it have to be white?? Could one choose a
light yellow, light gray, silver,etc....... and not be pushing the envelop
too much?

I happen to live in a very cool part of North America, so I am not too
worried about regular heat (like someone in Arizona might be).

Thoughts?

there was an architectural book out of england in the early 80's which
gave a rundown on the infrared characteristics of various paint
colours. It turns out that colour does not directly equate to infrared
transmissability. additives to a paint may achieve what you seek.
I dont have access to the reference, I only remember that it was a red
book. I just point this out to give a pointer to where the answer may
lie. you want the infrared transmissability data not the colour data.

Stealth Pilot