Old November 17th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Two vs Four

Years ago a friend designed and certified a walking-beam landing gear
for a Super Cub so it could go just about anywhere. It had a bungeed
beam, the four wheels and NO tailwheel. The bungee was strong enough
to keep the tail off the ground and the aft mains were about where
trike mains would be.
But it was heavy and draggy and hard to steer and I never saw
another one fly with it. The backwoods bushplanes all use the huge
tundra tires.

I *think* Asuza, the makers of ultralight wheels and brakes, also
make go-kart wheels and brakes for much less money. And they're
probably the same thing as those sold for aircraft use. I need to
chase that down for my Hummelbird...

Some guys have used wheelbarrow tires and wheels. Cheap, too. Are
they too big for the Chugger? And I think someone is making 6"
handcart wheels/tires, which would be ideal for the Chugger.

Dan