Old July 22nd 04, 01:20 PM
Roy Smith

In article Z3HLc.43796$ve2.15214@okepread05,
Mike Adams wrote:

What's the latest thinking on the GNS-430 vs. the CNX80? I'm planning a
panel upgrade and have read all the magazine articles, including the
comparison in Aviation Consumer, but it would be interesting to hear from
some actual users on how they compare. It seems the general impression is
that the CNX80 is more capable (WAAS, airways in the database, etc.), but
may be a little harder to use for the VFR and light IFR user. Is it really
too "heavy duty" for casual use? Is it worth the extra $2 to $3K?

Thanks,
Mike

I've got about 50 hours with a CNX-80, and maybe 5-10 hours with a 430
(a couple of years ago).

I really love the CNX-80. The display is larger than the 430, the WAAS
capability means it's not just more reliable, but more future-proof
(there are some kinds of approach procedures which are only authorized
if you have WAAS). The airways in the database is a great improvement
over entering long strings of waypoints.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that the CNX-80 has a learning
curve. But, for an airplane that you own and fly all the time, it
should be a non-issue. Garmin has also recently come out with a
PC-based simulator, which makes home training easier than it was before.