Old February 3rd 05, 02:09 PM
Peter R.

"Capt.Doug" wrote:

There was no visible moisture. The sky was crystal clear. The only wing
contamination possible would have been light frost on the bottom of the wing
where the fuel had cold-soaked after landing- if the plane had made a
quick-turn.

Interesting that I have read the "there was no visible moisture" point a
few times in relation to this crash. Based on my experience, no visible
moisture is no guarantee.

I only have about 750 hours of flying in the Northeast US, but during this
short time I have experienced three different situations where frost
appeared over top of the entire aircraft (twice in a C172 and once in a
Bonanza) within 10 minutes of landing in weather that was crystal clear, no
visible moisture.

This happened twice at Niagara Falls and once in Plattsburgh, NY. In all
cases, the sun had either just set or had been down a few hours and outside
temperatures were well below freezing (10 degrees F or so).

--
Peter